At Lisa Cordaro Publishing Services, I aim to be as environmentally active as possible in day-to-day business operation.
- All new paper purchased is recycled paper.
- Text is edited on-screen and proofs are read in PDF to avoid printing out.
- Where printing is unavoidable, both sides of the paper are used.
- To protect content, project and client confidentiality on disposal, paper is cross-shredded and sent to local recycling for composting.
- Online usage of reference resources and notetaking apps reduces hardcopy and paper use.
- Business documentation is maintained and stored securely paper-free, unless required or mandated by the law, government and tax authority.
- My printer ink subscription scheme is limited to 15 pages maximum per month. Any extra use incurs further cost. All print cartridges are fully recyclable and returned to Hewlett Packard when empty for reuse.
- I do not back up to the cloud – vast server farms are not eco-friendly. All data and project back-ups are offline and stored securely.
- Time-limited, secure services such as WeTransfer are used to send large files to clients. At WeTransfer, files are not stored online: they are removed from the host server after 7 days.
- All office equipment is rechargeable wherever possible, operated off mains electricity only when essential, and only during active usage. Equipment and lights are switched off at all other times.
- A smart meter is on the premises to monitor and control energy use.
- Office beverages are Fairtrade where possible.
- All recyclable packaging or waste is recycled, sundries are repurposed or reused wherever possible.
- Books and office equipment, furniture etc. are donated at end of use to local reuse schemes or charity for secondhand sale or distribution.
- Meetings and business communication are conducted online as standard to remove unnecessary travel.
- I only work remotely and do not operate on-site.
Conservation and ecology support
I support organisations active in the ecology and conservation spheres.
- A quarterly donation is made to WWF for research and conservation specialising in Antarctic species.
- I am a Friend of Cambridge University Botanic Garden, a world-class research site whose scientists work in conservation, ecology, species preservation and sustainability.